17 marzo, 2011

Before it is too late

Even though we live blocks away from his high school, my fifteen year old son, Misael, Witzalbertie, constantly gets to school late. He has received several reports due to his tardiness.
In order to “treat” his unpunctuality, Angélica, the social worker, has called me a couple of times.
Several days ago, Witzalberto got up really late, despite his two alarm clocks. I was expecting a report or a meeting with Angélica that day. Rather, he came back from school with no tardiness report, just a sad face and terrible news: Angélica had died.
Angélica what? How? When? I was shocked.
“Well, mom,” Misael said with his condescending look as if trying to break it down for me, “people die”.
Yes, I know. People die. I’ve seen it, as I have volunteered in a children’s hospital. I’ve lived with it, my father died when I was ten. But Angélica? I just saw her. Young, maybe younger than I, and healthy-looking
Angélica?
I know, we all come with an expiration date. But, still, it shocks me, and what shocks me the most is the little time we have and how fast it goes by.
Angélica’s death reminded me that life is not an unlimited-time run, the clock’s ticking...
So, if we have been thinking about calling our parents, or siblings, or whomever; or reconnecting with that special who we haven’t heard from in a while; or if we have been thinking of doing something and we haven’t, now is the time.
Today is the day to talk, to reach out with open arms, to show our love, to say we are sorry, to forgive, to connect, or reconnect. Please, let’s do it before it is too late.


4 comentarios:

  1. thanks for this Veronica. It is good to be reminded of this!

    I hope your other boy is getting on Ok! it is difficult to know what to do at the young age of 10 - hopefully the teacher is open to dialog about the situation.

    i don't know if this is the best advice, as it is a bit inward looking but I would remind him to always do the best for himself despite everything and channel the energy for any frustration he feels into a determination to do well at any tasks he is given or on tasks he enjoys out of school or in extra school activities.

    Hopefully the situation will gradually evolve to be better.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Hi, Steve!
    Thank you for your advice and concern.
    Jordi is doing better... he is already a determined boy.

    Kindest regards,
    Verónica

    ResponderEliminar
  3. My girlfriend went in for a straight-forward surgery and later that day I got a call that she had died due to complications. She was 37 years old. Your post is a fantastic reminder to live life to the fullest and remember how very short it is. Each day is a gift: enjoy it and use it well.

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Hi, Debbie,
    I know exactly what you mean, last night one of my friends passed away, he was 39 years old.
    As you said, life is a gift, every second of it. Let´s use it and use it well.
    Thanks for your comment.

    Kind regards,
    Verónica

    ResponderEliminar

Gracias por tu comentario